Admission to the UAGM MSLP Program
Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo and the School of Health Sciences (SHS) MSLP Program are committed to the principles of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons. Students are evaluated for admission to the MSLP Program without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, or national origin.
A graduate programs admission packet can be obtained by calling the Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo Admissions Office (787-743-7979 ext. 4457) or Mrs. Wanda I. Rodríguez at the School of Health Sciences (extension 4018). Admission to the MSLP Program occurs each year only for the fall semester and the last day to submit all the required documentation is March 1st. Students must meet all of the following admission requirements:
- Hold Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 out of a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a graduate programs application and submit it with the nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit official transcripts of credits with the graduate application for admission.
This transcript must demonstrate the candidate’s compliance with the following
- Certification Standard IV-A
- The applicant must have demonstrated knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavioral sciences.
- Biological Sciences
- Biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science
- Physical Sciences
- Social/Behavioral Sciences
- Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or Public Health
- A stand-alone course in statistics is required. Research methodology courses in communication sciences and disorders (CSD) may not be used to satisfy the statistics requirement.
- Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Language
- Articulation and Phonological Development and Intervention
- Language Development
* This course could be taken during or before the master degree program
Courses taken only as a pre-requisite requirement do not count toward the students GPA for admission. At the moment of the evaluation for admission a student may have in progress only two (2) of the required courses. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to submit their transcripts ahead of time to the Department Chair in order to receive an academic requisites evaluation.
- A minimum of 450 points in the "Examen de Admisión a Estudios de Posgrado" (EXADEP) Test. Test results are valid for five (5) years.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. The format to be used is included in the admission packet. Letters of recommendation from UAGM MSLP or BSLT Program part-time or full-time faculty will not be accepted.
- Candidates who met all the requisites and hand-in their documents on time according to the established dates, will be cited for a personal interview with the appointed MSLP Program admission committee. As part of the interview a written essay in Spanish, conversational skills in English, and professional presentation skills will be assessed.
Readmission to the UAGM MSLP Program
In order to be considered for readmission to the UAGM MSLP Program students:
- Must have interrupted his/her studies for a full academic term or more.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in the MSLP Program.
- Must have been in academic good-standing during the last semester of studies.
- Will be subject to an interview by the MSLP Program Director in addition to the regular admission committee interview.
- Must meet the requirements for the admission to the MSLP Program as well as other general readmission requirements.
Transfer Credits into the MSLP Program
Students transferring from other accredited institutions or with completed masters or doctoral degrees must meet all the admission requirements established for the MSLP Program (undergraduate GPA, EXADEP, interview, and specific academic requisites).
Candidates must not have been subjected to any academic or disciplinary sanctions at their previous academic Institution. A student can transfer a maximum of twelve (12) graduate credits from an SLP-ASHA accredited program.
MSLP Program Graduation Requirements
In order to be awarded with the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology the student must:
- Complete all the required MSLP code courses (64 credits) with a minimum grade of B.
- Complete a minimum of 400 clinical practicum hours. A minimum of 375 hours must be accrued while the student is engaging in direct client-patient contact. Up to a maximum of 25 clinical observation hours will be counted toward the grand total.
- Take the PRAXIS examination in Speech-Language Pathology. Students will have up to the month of September previous to their graduation semester to take the PRAXIS. Students are responsible for the PRAXIS dues and the compliance of examination dates. If a passing score of 162 (for ASHA certification) is achieved, the student will be excused from the Program’s comprehensive examination. If the 162 points are not achieved the student must take and approve the MSLP Program Comprehensive Examination. The passing score of the MSLP Program Comprehensive Examination is 70 points. The test is given as part of the requisites of the MSLP 680 Knowledge Integration in Speech-Language Pathology course.
- Complete a thesis under the guidance of a UAGM faculty mentor. The project requirements include the oral defense of the proposal, all written chapters electronically submitted (PDF format), a poster presentation, a publishable article, and a CD with all the documents.
- Complete the Knowledge And Skills Acquisition (KASA) Summary Form For Certification In Speech-Language Pathology. Students must complete the form and obtain the Clinical Coordinator, Academic Advisor, and Program Director signatures.